Yep, that’s right, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Part I and II, upcoming plays set in the HP universe, are due to be released as a book in stores on July 31st!!!
*squeels with excitement*
And yes, it is essentially an 8th Harry Potter book! Picking up 19 years after The Battle of Hogwarts. Whilst there’s still not as much surrounding the play info as we would like (but will there every be?) this is what we do know…
“Readers and moviegoers last saw Harry waving off his children at Platform Nine and Three-Quarters,…. in the epilogue to Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Harry Potter and the Cursed Child picks up after that moment and is staged in two parts, due to the ‘epic nature of the story’.” – Pottermore
We also know that our favorite Hogwarts trio will be back as will Harry’s son Albus.
“It was always difficult being Harry Potter and it isn’t much easier now that he is an overworked employee of the Ministry of Magic, a husband and father of three school-age children.
While Harry grapples with a past that refuses to stay where it belongs, his youngest son Albus must struggle with the weight of a family legacy he never wanted. As past and present fuse ominously, both father and son learn the uncomfortable truth: sometimes, darkness comes from unexpected places.” -Pottermore
Whilst it won’t be our usual beloved ‘book’ it will be in play format and given that we’re getting ANOTHER HP story when we through they were all over, we really can’t complain.
Ok, so how do it get my hands on a copy & what should I know?
1. It is set to hit bookstores on July 31st (Harry Potter’s birthday – aawwwww!)
2. This edition released will be a Special Rehearsal Edition script book of the new plays. This means it might not be 100% like the final play. It is the script used for the preview performances which take place prior to the world premiere in July work.
“Theatre previews allow the creative team the chance to rehearse and explore scenes further before a production’s official opening night.” – Pottermore
3. It will then later be replaced by a Definitive Edition.
4. The cover art is not final (but I hope they don’t change it much, if at all because gosh it looks nice!)
5. The book is all ready available for pre-order! Check your local bookstores or The Book Depository
The play itself will make its world debut in London’s West End, on July 30 2016 will star Jamie Parker, Paul Thornley and Noma Dumezweni as Harry, Ron and Hermione.
“…based on an original new story by J.K. Rowling, Jack Thorne and John Tiffany. It is officially the eighth story in Harry Potter canon and a new play by Jack Thorne.” – Pottermore